Sunday, June 17, 2012

New Sweet Ophelia Cover

It has been ten months since I launched my last book, Sweet Ophelia, a novel about the gritty streets of Hollywood, the film industry and second chances.  I originally had a woman's heavily made up face on the cover.  That didn't seem to work so well.  I changed it to a broken heart made of rose petals.  That didn't work so well either.  Finally I put in a cover with a woman wrapped in a towel, as seen from behind.  That worked a little bit better, but not too much.

Personally, I like this book quite a lot, though the sales have only been about a quarter of what they were for my first book, No Cure for the Broken Hearted.  Now I generally dislike when authors talk about sales at all, but I figured I'd explain why I've decided to change the cover up once again.  I've decided to go with this one:


I'm sure there are other things going on with the lackluster sales beside just the cover, of course.  Readers probably aren't as inclined to read a romance about a homeless man as opposed to a billionaire playboy like in the first book.  I also think that the title of the first book is more compelling.  That said, I figured I'd mix things up a little bit and try this cover out for a while.  Most likely this is the last change I'll make, but I'm proud of this book so hopefully it will give it at least a little bit of a boost. 

Either way, I'm moving on to the next one.  I'm hoping Natalia will be done in another few weeks.  So close now...

2 comments:

  1. I love this cover Kenneth. It gives a real flavour of what the book is about. If I was you, based on the fact that your next book title is just a woman's name 'Natalia' I would be tempted to make 'Sweet Ophelia' just 'Ophelia' - but that's just my opinion of course - and having read this (fabulous) book I actually don't think that Ophelia turned out so sweet after all! Wishing you great success and I can hardly wait to read your next book.

    Janice x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Janice, I wish I'd had this cover at the start! Better late than never, I guess. You're right that Ophelia's not so sweet. It keeps the reader guessing, though, huh? ;-) The new one is oh so close. Two weeks, tops, I'm hoping!

    ReplyDelete