Wednesday, June 5, 2019

Moving ahead

It's been two weeks now since I had my prostate cancer treatment and everything went well.  I'll be honest, though, the recovery has been tougher than I expected.  Four hours under anesthesia really wipes you out.  I didn't realize ahead of time, and nobody mentioned it, but the effects take a few weeks to wear off.  Apparently, it takes a week for each hour you were under for the drugs to leave your system.  And then there are the other effects from the procedure that your body just needs time to heal from, but I'm starting to feel almost normal again at this point, finally.  It's definitely a relief to have the whole thing over and done with, and now I just have to cross my fingers and hope that it was successful.  I won't have my first indication until my three-month follow-up.  In the meantime, I'll be here in California, trying to get back into writing mode.  Going through all of this has definitely put me behind schedule on my latest novel, Spy Girl, but I'm looking forward to getting back into the flow of it.  I guess it's probably true of a lot of professions, but for a writer there is nothing quite like the feeling you get from a productive day of work.  It just seems to settle whatever angst you happen to be dealing with and calm the nerves, at least until the next day when you start all over.  There's something about losing yourself in the story that lets everything else fade away.  So, on that note, I'm off to join Natalia on her latest adventure!  Hopefully I can still have this one finished by the fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment