Friday, July 22, 2011

Photo of the day: Heroes' Square

Today I thought I'd throw up another photo of the day, this time of Heroes' Square (Hősök tere) here in Budapest.  This square is quite near to my apartment and I pass by it on most days.  To me it is a beautiful reminder that I am living in a grand, old European capital.  The Millennium Monument in the center of the square was built to celebrate the 1000th anniversary of the Hungarian nation in 1896 (though it was part of the Austrian empire at that time).  One local actually told me that the 1000th anniversary was supposed to be in 1895, but that this and other projects to celebrate it were behind schedule, so they sort of re-wrote the history books and celebrated a year later.  I'm not sure if there is any truth to this or not, but it makes a good story anyway!

2 comments:

  1. That's an amazing photo - it's like a postcard. One for the album I think Kenneth and a great story to tell too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it's pretty nice having this square nearby. On a warm summer night it's nice to go walk around the monument, all lit up with floodlights. Of course, warm (and dry) summer nights have been rare lately!

    ReplyDelete