Monday, January 16, 2012

Finally did it! Got a new camera...

For nearly a decade I've been thinking about getting a nice digital SLR camera.  In 2002 I went to Ireland and took a bike trip around the Beara Peninsula.  I planned to write it up as a travel story, complete with photos that I'd take along the way.  In the end I couldn't bring myself to spend the money on a new camera, so I used an old 35mm SLR instead.  I did manage to sell the article to the Los Angeles Times, along with the photos, but still I couldn't justify the cost of a camera upgrade.

Over the next few years my interest in photography grew.  I began exhibiting and selling my prints in art shows in California, including the annual Sawdust Festival in Laguna Beach.  But then my camera was stolen.  That was pretty much the end of the line for my budding photography career.  At least until now.

After waiting so long, I finally broke down and got a new Canon this week.  I opted for the T2i (550D), which is the previous model year.  I'm done with the art festivals, but hopefully this will motivate me to post more photos here on the blog.  Today I went down to the beach and took my first shots.


This is main beach here in Laguna at sunset on a winter day.  The first of many shots to come, no doubt!

4 comments:

  1. How exciting for you! I'm looking forward to seeing your photos this year Kenneth - I so enjoyed seeing your European trip in photos. I'm afraid I'm not much of a photographer - I work on the principle that if I take lots then one might be okay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Janice, I enjoyed seeing some of your photos from Tenerife! That looks like it was a great trip, and nice visit with your son, too! Are you back in Scotland now, or still soaking up the sun?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still enjoying the sunshine and will return to snowy Scotland on Saturday. I intend to make the most of my last couple of days here however!! Laguna beach looks just as good as those here in Tenerife - except of course the sand here is black and the rocks volcanic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I suspect they've got better tapas! Enjoy your last few days in the sun!

    ReplyDelete