Saturday, January 28, 2012

Summer in Winter

This has been quite an amazing month here in Southern California.  Usually during the winter the high temperatures hover around 65-69 degrees or so (18 C), but this month the temperatures have been regularly hitting the high 70's and even into the low 80's (27 C).  It is hard to complain, since I've always been one who prefers summer to winter.  The downside is that I've hardly accomplished anything with my writing lately.  I figure, make hay while the sun shines, right?!  Or at least make the most of it, in any case.


Today I drove up to Newport Beach with my dad to rent a couple kayaks and go paddling around the harbor.  Lots of other people were out on boats or the little beaches ringing the harbor, pretending that it was summer for the day.

Tomorrow I'm headed up to Mammoth Lakes in the Sierra Nevada mountains for a month or so, where I'll encounter real winter.  After the driest start to the season in ages, they finally got some snow last week. I'm sure I'll get a lot more writing done in the colder weather, but if it gets too cold I'll just think back to today, hanging out on the water and basking in the winter sun!

No comments:

Post a Comment