Monday, November 14, 2011

So long Budapest!

Well, nearly six months ago I came to Europe to spend some time soaking up the ambiance and writing in cafes.  I also came to visit friends, since I've spent a fair bit of time here before.  I wasn't sure how long I'd stay on this trip, but finally, alas, I am heading home!  Actually, I'm sitting in the airport in Budapest waiting for my flight (delayed an hour...). I figured I'd write a few quick thoughts about my trip.  I spent the first month in Tallinn, Estonia, where I reconnected with some friends I hadn't seen in nine long years.  Somehow it felt almost as though I'd never left.  Thanks to Aivar and Peeter for that!  After that it was four days in Finland, where I stayed with my exchange student sister and her family.  Riikka took me along to their midsummer celebration at a cottage by a big lake in the wilderness.  It was a weekend I'll never forget, with a great group of extended friends and family.  And then off to Budapest, where I lived for the summer in 2009.  Being back here felt a lot like coming home.  Somehow I've developed a real connection to this place, and all of the friends I've made here.  I also got a fair bit of writing done, and my next novel is coming along.  Now it is time to head back to California to finish the novel and figure out my next step in life. 

Ok off to my gate.  I hope I still make my connection! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment